[NZOSS-Openchat] Open Source - as it applies to food.

Vik Olliver vik at diamondage.co.nz
Sun Nov 20 13:09:15 NZDT 2011

On 19/11/11 19:26, Bruce Kingsbury wrote:
> They'll probably ban 3d printers as soon as they get cheap and useful
> enough..
>
> http://craphound.com/overclocked/Cory_Doctorow_-_Overclocked_-_Printcrime.html

Yeah, Cory wrote that shortly after he discovered what we were up to.
Later he expanded the concept in Makers - you can have a copy if you
like, digital for free or dead-tree for the postage :)

Sadly I blow a gaping hole in his plot, as he has failed to account for
one of the side-effects of ubiquitous mechanical replication: With that
technology it is soooo simple to print a mini-factory that can process
(however inefficiently) common materials into - well, name your poison.

It would allow sophisticated surgical and medical technologies to be
practised by anyone. As he foretold, there would be a lot of unlucky
"early adopters." However, medical progress will be rapid once it
becomes irrelevant what your local MediCorp ethics committee thinks.
We've had this situation before, kind of, but sadly it was not voluntary
on the part of the unfortunate recipients.

Anyone who takes this lightly need only look at people who have
deliberately disfiguring facial implants etc. That fringe is definitely
out there. Open Source is going to have a big impact there, like it or not.

A liquid oxygen/hydrogen-powered cruise missile would be something you'd
be able to practically manufacture and launch from your garage. That
would give anyone you like a really spectacular fireworks display
anywhere on Earth. Colombians are building submarines in secret, so I
don't think it's too far fetched to assume something of that scale done
collaboratively with Open Source components.

Reading Cory usually makes me feel like we're sort of pushing Open
Source around a watercourse and arguing over which path it should go
down, when there's a tsunami about to drop on us...

--
Vik :v)

Vik Olliver,
Diamond Age Solutions Ltd., 3D Printer consumables & vitamins
+64 9 817 7138