[NZOSS-Openchat] Fwd: Search and Surveillance Bill organising meeting next Wednesday

Peter Harrison cheetah100 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 17:51:48 NZST 2010

The following is tangentially related to open source, and not so
tangentially related to Internet freedoms.

The issue of interception of digital communications has been in the
spotlight recently with various countries insisting that Blackberry's
- and RIM - give unencrypted text of messages to these Governments,
and also starting to target other users of encryption. This presumably
means that Governments think SSL is TOO secure, and they would like
ways to read our emails.

We also see how GPS tracking is being used both in NZ and overseas,
and how the courts treat it. In the US there have been rulings both
for and against a search warrant to track cars. And last but far from
least is the provision of Police like powers to about 70 Government
departments and organisations. That is these departments will be able
to get court orders for investigations that will involve bugging your
house; including video.

Obviously we need to adapt our policing to new technology, but just
like with Copyright we should not allow a broadening and deepening of
these powers. I have not had time to fully read the proposed bill, but
it would be great if someone had the time to read it and evaluate what
effect it may have on our freedoms.

http://www.parliament.nz/en-NZ/PB/Legislation/Bills/8/9/a/00DBHOH_BILL9281_1-Search-and-Surveillance-Bill.htm

http://www.parliament.nz/NR/rdonlyres/519D853C-00BF-4F7B-980C-9E2657A8940A/155700/DBSCH_SCR_4856_InterimreportontheSearchandSurveill.pdf