[NZLUG] Stitching 2x A4 images into A3

cr cr at orcon.net.nz
Sun Mar 27 14:37:33 NZDT 2016

On Sun, 27 Mar 2016 10:19:41 steve wrote:
> On 03/25/2016 02:59 PM, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> > In the process of going digitsl I find that some paper is larger than
> > A4, so can't be scanned easily. A3 scanners are, uhhmm, too pricey.
> >
> > Combining two A4 images into an A3 one should technically be easy.
> >
> > Does anyone use any software for this, and can recommend
something?
> > The input would be tiff, the output can be tiff (easy to convert to
> > anything else), or extra bonus, properly constructed pdf.
> >
> > It would probably have to be a graphical program that is able to take
> > care of stitching together the two halves in the correct place, perhaps
> > with minimal interactive guidance. The output should be as if it came
> > from an A3 scanner (some small loss around the edges correlating to
the
> > amount of overlap of the two halves would be expected).
> >
> > ImageMgaick's montage is useless, although it can combine two
images
> > into a larger one never mind what's in the middle...
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Volker
>
> I used to use hugin

Hugin (which I have used) is marvellous for combining e.g. adjoining photos
where the perspectives don't quite match up.     It subtly distorts the
images as necessary and aligns them to match up seamlessly.     I've
tested it against a couple of other freebie-with-camera programs and
Hugin leaves them for dead.   It's truly impressive.

But if the two images are to exactly the same scale and rectilinear (? is
that the right term?) perspective, as scans should be, it's way overkill, like
using OpenOffice Writer to compose this email would be.

cr