[NZLUG] Stitching 2x A4 images into A3

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 22:10:21 NZDT 2016

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 7:56 PM, cr <cr at orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 15:15:39 Atom Smasher wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 25 Mar 2016, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
>
> > > In the process of going digitsl I find that some paper is larger than
>
> > > A4, so can't be scanned easily. A3 scanners are, uhhmm, too pricey.
>

> > =========
>

> > you'll never get the alignment bang-on-perfect, so you'll need to do some
>
> > manual adjustments. which means gimp is the way to do it.
>

> > nb, adjusting the rotation will result in loss of detail, so you'll need
>
> > to scan at a higher resolution than you think you'll need.
>

> I'd echo that. I've done quite a bit of scanning of large-scale maps and
> combining them into one (when the sheet edges were in awkward places). Gimp
> is very good for that, particularly the feature that lets you superimpose
> grid lines on the view so you can rotate your image by fractions of a
> degree before you crop it.
>

> Dedicated A3 scanners are horribly expensive, but some 'all-in-one'
> printer-copier-scanners are quite modestly priced (like my Epson WF-7510).
> Scans up to tabloid 11"x17" which is just shy of A3. I got it specifically
> with copying maps etc in mind, now I'm retired and can't use the machines
> at work.
>

> cr

Volker, I have a Fuji Xerox printer/scanner at work that does A3. If I can
assist at all, let me know. It'd have to be by arrangement as the printer
is used pretty fulltime at work, but we could work something out.

I don't have access to it right now, but I can look up maximum dpi etc next
week. It does tiff, pdf and jpeg. Colour and B&W. Mr Fisher will know more
as his company supplied it!