[NZLUG] Stitching 2x A4 images into A3

cr cr at orcon.net.nz
Fri Mar 25 19:56:59 NZDT 2016

On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 15:15:39 Atom Smasher wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2016, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> > In the process of going digitsl I find that some paper is larger than
> > A4, so can't be scanned easily. A3 scanners are, uhhmm, too pricey.
>
> =========
>
> you'll never get the alignment bang-on-perfect, so you'll need to do
some
> manual adjustments. which means gimp is the way to do it.
>
> nb, adjusting the rotation will result in loss of detail, so you'll need
> to scan at a higher resolution than you think you'll need.

I'd echo that.   I've done quite a bit of scanning of large-scale maps and
combining them into one (when the sheet edges were in awkward places).
Gimp is very good for that, particularly the feature that lets you
superimpose grid lines on the view so you can rotate your image by
fractions of a degree before you crop it.

Dedicated A3 scanners are horribly expensive, but some 'all-in-one' printer-
copier-scanners are quite modestly priced (like my Epson WF-7510).
Scans up to tabloid 11"x17" which is just shy of A3.   I got it specifically with
copying maps etc in mind, now I'm retired and can't use the machines at
work.

cr