[NZLUG] BIOS/GPT boot set-up

Peter Robinson southern.petrel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 11:21:52 NZST 2016

Hi all

I've been helping a friend with a seven year old desktop box running
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.   Some life was added to this machine via the
installation of a solid-state drive.   Whilst MBR would have perhaps
been adequate, the SSD was set-up with a GUID Partition Table.   A
small, 1 MiB partition, was created at the beginning of the drive, left
unformatted & flagged 'bios_grub'

It appears grub2 has installed correctly on the SSD.   I note, that when
viewed in GParted, the small bios_grub partition is displayed with a red
exclamation mark symbol alongside.   I assume that's just because
GParted is looking for a file system but doesn't find one.   Can anyone
confirm if this is the case?

GParted does show the correct flag & from what I've read, grub2 installs
core.img on this small partition.

All part of the learning & the machine is actually booting fine.

Thanks
Peter