[NZLUG] VNC server/viewer setup help required

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Fri Jul 22 12:28:31 NZST 2016

On 22/07/2016 10:33 a.m., Cliff Pratt wrote:
> On 21/07/16 21:28, Patrick Connolly wrote:
>
>> Somewhere about Wed, 20-Jul-2016 at 02:26PM +1200 (give or take),

>> take),

>> theory.

>> would
>>
>> No.  It would use 22, the SSH standard.  5901 isn't opened until the
>> VNC server starts.
>>
> That's the point. Use Putty, using the standard port 22 to connect and
> start the VNC server. Then use Putty (a second one) as a telnet client
> to see if the VNC server is listening on port 5901. I've used Putty
> for things like this in the past, but can't remember the details. I
> don't have Putty installed anywhere so I can't test. As I recall it
> was pretty simple.

More simply, Putty is a software application. Putty 'is not' SSH.
Putty talks SSH, it also talks Telnet (which is in itself, a simple TCP
connection).  You must open Putty and select the correct 'connection
type' before then manually adjusting the Port to be used as required.

Or you could follow the earlier links provided and install the Telnet
client on your windows machine.  The question really is, whether it's
apparent if a TCP service is listening on port 5901, and the Telnet
protocol is the easiest way to determine this.

Mark.