[NZLUG] monitoring software.

steve steve at greengecko.co.nz
Thu Jul 21 13:38:02 NZST 2016

Not quite sure what you're on about here. Orcon own the IP addresses
currently in use by this server. Should I route them through a third
party so the clients see the same no matter there the router is, or
should I use a VPN?

I do use IPv6 whenever the SP offers it ( see Amazon for details (: ),
but it can cause a shedload more problems - like for example mail
delivered over IPv6 is far more likely considered to be spam ( apart
from blacklisting being at the /64 level - which is a real problem for a
certain Kiwi SP who releases IPv6 addresses singly! ), it's just more
spammy apparently. But anyway, there's a lot fewer IPv6 providers than
you'd expect.

Cheers,

Steve

On 07/21/2016 12:50 PM, Martin D Kealey wrote:
> On the list of things to do I'd also recommend using additional IP addresses
> for different functions, so that you can migrate some or all to different
> hosts in the future without having to reconfigure all the devices that
> depend on them.
>
> (The term "VIP" is apposite, but people tend to associate that with load
> balancing, which is most definitely *not* what I'm talking about.)
>
> With, of course, separate DNS entries -- though it's arguable whether DNS
> should be used for monitoring; there are benefits and problems both ways.
>
> You might also take the opportunity to enable IPv6 on your monitoring system
> so that it can cope as IPv6 is added to other parts of the network later.
>
> -Martin
>
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2016, steve wrote:
>
>> Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 12:01:02
>> From: steve <steve at greengecko.co.nz>
>> To: nzlug at lists.nzoss.org.nz
>> Subject: Re: [NZLUG] monitoring software.
>>
>> This is interesting. I've spun up a local VM to try out a few things.
>> Zabbix was first on my list, but with a (Norwegian) nul points so far,
>> I'll try Icinga2 instead!.
>>
>> I'll also look into that addon, thanks Jim.
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> On 07/21/2016 10:56 AM, Jim Cheetham wrote:
>>> Use nagios with check_mk - all your config concerns go away, all the
>>> tests are done at the far end rather than from the nagios server, etc.
>>> That's more important than the GUI gloss, which is usually all the
>>> other products really produce.
>>>
>>> -jim

Steve Holdoway BSc(Hons) MIITP
http://www.greengecko.co.nz