[NZLUG] monitoring software.

Martin D Kealey martin at kurahaupo.gen.nz
Thu Jul 21 12:50:12 NZST 2016

On the list of things to do I'd also recommend using additional IP addresses
for different functions, so that you can migrate some or all to different
hosts in the future without having to reconfigure all the devices that
depend on them.

(The term "VIP" is apposite, but people tend to associate that with load
balancing, which is most definitely *not* what I'm talking about.)

With, of course, separate DNS entries -- though it's arguable whether DNS
should be used for monitoring; there are benefits and problems both ways.

You might also take the opportunity to enable IPv6 on your monitoring system
so that it can cope as IPv6 is added to other parts of the network later.

-Martin