[NZLUG] VNC server/viewer setup help required

Patrick Connolly tuxkid at slingshot.co.nz
Sun Jul 17 18:44:37 NZST 2016

Somewhere about Fri, 15-Jul-2016 at 11:21AM +1200 (give or take),
Cliff Pratt wrote:

|> On 14/07/16 20:20, Patrick Connolly wrote:

|> ># netstat -tlnep | grep -E '5901|6001'
|> >tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:5901          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1000       3579449     31417/Xvnc
|> >tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:6001            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1000       3579444     31417/Xvnc
|> >tcp6       0      0 ::1:5901                :::*                    LISTEN      1000       3579450     31417/Xvnc
|> >tcp6       0      0 :::6001                 :::*                    LISTEN      1000       3579443     31417/Xvnc
|> >
|> >I've disregarded the tcp6 lines assuming they don't tell anything new.
|> >Is that a bad idea?
|> >

|> >#

|> Well, that first line of the netstat *seems* to say that 5901 is
|> open on localhost only, so any connections will need connect to
|> localhost, which of course they can't from another machine.

Are there any suggestions as to how to make the :5091 line more like
the :6001 line.

|> Try 'telnet <ip addr of the remote machine> 5901 from the other
|> machine and see if it connects. My guess is that it won't.

There's no telnet on the Windows machine so can't test that theory.

|> The setup looks to me like it is expecting the connection to the
|> remote machine to be via an SSH tunnel. Is this the case?

The ultimate aim is to use putty to make the connexion.  Once that's
established, the idea is to start the vnc server, then use Tigervnc
viewer to use the Linux machine as if being there.  A bash prompt in a
putty window is not sufficient.

Were only one person using the Linux machine, it would be very simple
to use display :0 using x11vnc, but that's no use in this case.

|> In your ~/.vnc/config you said you had a line with "localhost". You
|> could maybe try removing that? I don't have such a file on my
|> system.

Yes, I did try that and many other omissions and variations.  I've no
idea if these lines in syslog have any bearing.  Looking around, I see
it turns up all sorts of places but I don't see anything to indicate
it is an issue here.

console-kit-daemon[31640]: WARNING: Failed to acquire org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit
console-kit-daemon[31640]: WARNING: Could not acquire name; bailing out

My Windows helper says he needs to look at the workings of the viewer.
He thinks there might be something there that defies the 'ESTABLISHED'
message.  I'll try connecting this Mint box to a CentOS laptop and see
if that sheds any light.

Thanks for your suggestions.

--
   ___     Patrick Connolly