[NZLUG] VNC server/viewer setup help required

Cliff Pratt enkidu at cliffp.com
Fri Jul 15 10:44:52 NZST 2016

On 14/07/16 11:36, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> On Thu 14 Jul 2016 10:46:33 NZST +1200, Cliff Pratt wrote:
>
>> If nothing else works, try replacing the 'startkde &' line with
>> 'exec startkde'.
> What specifically do you expect to change with this?
>
> The former starts a new program from scratch by the shell script, which
> then continues on, exiting the shell at the end of the script. The
> latter replaces the shell process with the startkde process, while
> keeping all file handles etc open. Think of it as gutting the core and
> putting a new one in while running. I can't remember seeing a case where
> shell scripts are used to open files which are then passed on to the
> program started by the script. But it's worth a try and might get closer
> to the problem.
>
> Volker
I don't really know. Thanks for explaining the difference. I was simply
looking at my version of the shell script and comparing it with
Patrick's. As I said in my email, my version actually runs another
program or script. This has worked in the past, but I usually use X
forwarding in ssh which allows me to use X programs like xterm (not
really necessary with ssh) and the graphical Ubuntu update program,
update-manager, and pretty much anything (X) else.

Cheers,

Cliff