[NZLUG] VNC server/viewer setup help required

Patrick Connolly tuxkid at slingshot.co.nz
Wed Jul 13 20:23:33 NZST 2016

Somewhere about Wed, 13-Jul-2016 at 04:34PM +1200 (give or take), Martin D Kealey wrote:

|> Useful options for netstat include:
|>     -n  makes the output numeric (so you don't have to go looking up port
|>         names to get their numbers);
|>     -l  restricts the output to listeners, rather than connections;
|>     -t  restricts the output to tcp (excludes UDP or Unix sockets);
|>     -p  report process; and
|>     -e  report the kernel channel of the local socket
|>         (which can be searched for in /proc/$pid/fd).
|>
|> So I would run: netstat -tlnep | grep -E '5901|6001'
|>
|> Then I'd check that the reported processes are for the right xvnc process.
|>
|> I would then look at iptables -xvnL and see if anything is configured to block
|> ports in the 5900-5999 range.

Thanks for the elucidation of netstat.  There's no firewall settings
so I'd not expect anything to result.

I think I need to know more about ~/.vnc/xstartup & ~/.vnc/config but
I can't find pertinent information that's consistent with my fairly
recent distro (Mint 17.2).

Thanks

--
   ___     Patrick Connolly