[NZLUG] VNC server/viewer setup help required

Martin D Kealey martin at kurahaupo.gen.nz
Wed Jul 13 16:34:56 NZST 2016

Useful options for netstat include:
    -n  makes the output numeric (so you don't have to go looking up port
        names to get their numbers);
    -l  restricts the output to listeners, rather than connections;
    -t  restricts the output to tcp (excludes UDP or Unix sockets);
    -p  report process; and
    -e  report the kernel channel of the local socket
        (which can be searched for in /proc/$pid/fd).

So I would run: netstat -tlnep | grep -E '5901|6001'

Then I'd check that the reported processes are for the right xvnc process.

I would then look at iptables -xvnL and see if anything is configured to block
ports in the 5900-5999 range.