[NZLUG] VNC server/viewer setup help required

tuxkid tuxkid at slingshot.co.nz
Wed Jul 13 12:26:04 NZST 2016

On 2016-07-13 10:27, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> On Wed 13 Jul 2016 09:57:17 NZST +1200, tuxkid wrote:
>
>> That does exactly the same except each number is reduced by 99.
>>
>> Though I  don't exactly understand what's going on with port
>> numbers,
>
> I ddn't quite take in all the previous details (no direct experience in
> that area), but the port number explanation sruck me as giving
> 	6000 + 100 = 6100
> 	5900 + 100 = 6000 = collision with usually expected X server.
>
> So it strikes me as a worthwhile experiment to check whether the
> collision at 6000 is an issue, by using e.g. 50 and rebooting.

I've already tried x = 1, 2, 3, 4, 100, 200 with the same result.  The
server says it's listening on port 5900 + x, but the viewer will only
ever establish a connexion to 6000 + x.
It took me a long time to think of adding that 100 after numerous
refusals to connect to the port the server claimed to be listening on.

PC