[NZLUG] Netflix and VPN

Cliffp enkidu at cliffp.com
Sat Apr 19 20:19:40 NZST 2014

On 19/04/14 19:45, Mark Foster wrote:

> On 19/04/2014 7:30 p.m., Robin Sheat wrote:
>> op 19-04-14 19:27, Cliffp schreef:
>>> The answer is, not so far as I can tell. I run it in a screen session
>>> and no messages there and none in the usual logs.
>> Hmm. DHCP renegotiation resetting your default route temporarily?
>> (though, I wouldn't expect that to cause this, just throwing out ideas.)
>>

> I'd wonder if it's looking at other things, like system locale and
> such.  If your system is running en-NZ, if they happen to be able to
> apply rules to places known to host VPN endpoints... there's many ways
> to skin this cat.

Yeah, that's the sort of thing that I was thinking, but apparently
others are using a VPN to access Netflix just fine.

> If you really want a 'clean' approach, run up a VM built as if you're in
> the USA, with all USA based selections, arrangements, and such...
>
> I personally would very happily pay a small amount per month to access a
> system that didn't require me to circumvent copy protection.  Since such
> a thing doesn't seem to exist in NZ, I find myself stuck with FTA TV and
> whatever comes my way by 'other means'. It explains also why Boxed Sets
> are still in demand and readily available for rent at the likes of your
> local video store.

Well, I'm basically experimenting, so it is no big deal if it doesn't work.

It's quite cute using mtr to watch the packets banging around the world
just to reach my ISP just down the road.

(This email sent via the VPN.)

Cheers,

Cliff