[NZLUG] Recommendations for free cloud storage? Around 10GB.

Félix Saparelli felix at passcod.name
Tue Apr 15 19:27:55 NZST 2014

On 15 April 2014 19:15, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 6:13 PM, Cliffp <enkidu at cliffp.com> wrote:
> > On 15/04/14 15:31, Guy K. Kloss wrote:
> >> We are (my employer) currently working on a Linux synch client, and
> >> you're getting 50 GB free of charge per month on Mega.co.nz.
> >>
> >> Just to throw in a few other options I've heard of:
> >>
> >> There might be a solution that could work on SyncAny:
> >> http://www.syncany.org/
> >>
> >> Another option I've heard somebody is using successfully is Bittorrent
> >> Sync:
> >> http://www.bittorrent.com/sync
> >>
> >> However, depending on the environment, that could also be blocked by
> >> some (corporate) firewall, or slowed down by a provider's QOS traffic
> >> shaping.
> >
> > I've found a thing called grive that might suit me. It allows the use of
> > Google Drive as a folder, much like Dropbox and Ubuntu One.
>
> All your data are belong to us :)

I use BitTorrent Sync for deployment of applications and content (I hear
some big companies also do that, don't remember which) to server(s). The
thing to keep in mind, of course, is that it keeps the entire content tree
on both sides, so if one just wants to archive data and not necessarily
keep it on local disk, one would need to set something up on the remote
side to rotate older files out or something.

Also note that BitTorrent Sync is proprietary, the linux "client" is a bit
rough and buggy, and the protocol isn't disclosed. Security details are
scarce.

For my personal files I use Dropbox (yeah, yeah) with EncFS (which works
also on Android) for end-to-end crypto.