[NZLUG] Copying Home Directory to a new partition.

Tomislav Skunca tomislav.skunca at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 07:27:05 NZST 2014

To be sure that your old folders are completely synced you can try running

  rsync -ac0 --dry-run --stats /old/home/ /new/home

This should print out all the files that rsync would like to copy because
they are different or missing in the new home folder (maybe a --verbose is
needed, I forget). It will take a little time to run since it's actually
comparing file contents.

Just remove the --dry-run switch to actually copy the files. Also, the
trailing slash on the source folder is intentional and must be there for
this to work as intended.