[NZLUG] Converting UTF-8 files to PDF

Bruce Clement subscribed at gnuzealand.com
Tue Apr 1 23:12:57 NZDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 3:59 PM, Volker Kuhlmann <hidden at paradise.net.nz>wrote:

> How can I convert a text file using UTF-8 encoding to PDF? I.e., print
> it?

Can you live with runoff (roff, groff, troff, etc)?

There's a preprocesor for groff called "preconv" that converts non-ascii
utf-8 characters into \[UXXXX] strings that groff can process. groff has an
option to output to pdf.

There's also an independently re-implemented roff called neatroff that
(according to its documentation) directly handles utf-8 input
links: http://litcave.rudi.ir/neatroff.pdf
http://litcave.rudi.ir/
http://repo.or.cz/w/neatroff.git/tree

I've not tried either of these.

--
Bruce Clement

Home:    http://www.clement.co.nz/
Twitter:    http://twitter.com/Bruce_Clement

"Before attempting to create something new, it is vital to have a good
appreciation of everything that already exists in this field." Mikhail
Kalashnikov