[NZLUG] Netcomm NP805N Router - Internal DNS resolution?

Volker Kuhlmann hidden at paradise.net.nz
Sat Jun 29 22:29:22 NZST 2013

On Sat 29 Jun 2013 19:48:09 NZST +1200, Tortise wrote:

> Or just use both? With the new one AP over N thru old one?

Ouch, much hell might ensure, though it's possible. But from the start.

> > On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 5:29 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Does anyone know how to turn on internal DNS resolution or is this router
> >> just incompetent.

The new netbox was supplied as part of an ISP plan as "freebie". The
main idea there being "cheap", which should clearly answer the
"incompetence" question in the affirmative (assuming your googling for
the model's manual and checking all its setup menus came up blank, or
you wouldn't be asking).

Hooking up one of these cheapies as an AP to your router then creates
the situation where your only safe access for configuring the AP is
through its WAN interface - on which the cheapie will make sure
configuration is not possible, in the interest of security, thus
creating no security. You can try to hook up its "LAN" port to your
router as well - you'll still be swearing (subnets, netmasks, networks
etc), but not as much. Or you can use its half-brained tricks of
allowing configuration over the so-called "secure-whatnot" wireless
side.

I got it to go, but after the amount of swearing I swore not to deal
with cheap junk APs again!

There are cheap TP-Link wireless PCI cards around that look quite good.
The only annoying bit there is that freebsd isn't mature enough to
handle 600Mbit/s 802n, which kind of sucks.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann			is list0570 with the domain in header.
http://volker.dnsalias.net/	Please do not CC list postings to me.