[NZLUG] LDAP

Nevyn nevynh at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 20:40:10 NZST 2013

On 29 June 2013 15:51, Mark Foster <blakjak at blakjak.net> wrote:

> >> Don't forget WebMin, and if it's LDAP itself, you may want to take a
> >> quick squiz at FreeIPA - looks interesting
> > FreeIPA is certainly worth taking a look at - looks like a really nice
> > replacement to the role of Active Directory, as it provides both
> > Kerberos and LDAP authentication.
>
> As an LDAP tool, ApacheDirectoryStudio is worth a look - even I can make
> changes to LDAP with this... ! ;-)

I kind like the idea of a kind of .... I dunno.... template based system?
I.e. this part of the tree is for users and this is for groups. So a new
entry always uses this template and hey, given that we know what that part
of the tree is about, we can even present a button to do that task. Even
the UI should be able to be configured to suit it's task i.e. if you're
dealing with users, then group management is also related and so those two
different parts on the tree kind of pertain to the same sort of task.

But I digress. The whole point of the exercise is to have a real world
example to develop a particular solution on. In other words, LDAP is little
more than a great big pain in the butt given that I have a whole lot of
testing and development to do on something that just needs to use LDAP. So
security isn't an issue at all at this stage (given that LDAP isn't the
goal at all). It may become a factor later on when integrating it into a
real world scenario but for development... it's just not needed.

Regards,
Nevyn
http://nevsramblings.blogspot.com/