[NZLUG] Netcomm NP805N Router - Internal DNS resolution?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 17:29:06 NZST 2013

Vodafone gave me this router today when upgrading my cable. With my old
WRT54-GL running custom firmware when a local client connected via dhcp it
got an entry in the routers dns system and I could happily connect to all
my local devices by name rather than IP address.

The netcomm doesn't seem to want to do this, no dns resolution of internal
addresses at all. Very annoying as I have all my mythtv frontends set up to
connect to the backend by name not by IP address.

Does anyone know how to turn on internal DNS resolution or is this router
just incompetent.

Maybe I need to just put the WRT54 back in there and put the netcomm at the
back of the garage, although it's wireless N support and my laptop are
loving each other.