[NZLUG] LDAP

Nevyn nevynh at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 13:12:38 NZST 2013

On 29 June 2013 07:47, Roland Hill <roland.lists at hillnet.co.nz> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 or thereabouts, Nevyn came forth with:
>
> > Hi All,
>
> > I'm having a go at installing LDAP for a VM environment and am really
> > struggling. My first thoughts, because I really don't want to have to get
> > too far into LDAP, was to install a web based front end. So I found GOsa
> > and am trying to configured it. I then get to a screen that tells me:
>
> > The specified user 'cn=admin,dc=example,dc=org' does not have full access
> > to your LDAP database.
>
> > I then check this page:
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/12.10/serverguide/openldap-server.html
>
> Hi Nevyn,
>
> I found this guide which helped get me started:
>

> http://www.unixmen.com/openldap-installation-and-configuration-in-ubuntu-12-10-server-debian-6/
>
> I only use LDAP for a centralised address book on my home network, so not
> very complicated but found this guide got me up and running quicker than
> anything I had read before. Hope it helps in some way.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Roland

Installing LDAP really isn't the problem. It's up and running. And I got
the phpldapadmin thing going which just left me wondering "Whiskey Tango
Foxtrot". Jethro Carr's presentation to AuckLUG that Jaco posted mentions
something that he wrote. It looks pretty good - focusing purely on user
management rather than trying to be an in encompassing ldap interface. I
haven't yet found the time to try and install it (no deb so will take a
little bit more time than just downloading it) - hopefully tonight if I
don't fall over from lack of sleep first (so much to do that HAS to get
done before I got to NetHui).

If that doesn't work for me, I'm probably going to just do it by hand
(yuck) and perhaps come back in a few months and design something kind of
around the idea that geeks are users too.

Regards,
Nevyn
http://nevsramblings.blogspot.com/