[NZLUG] LDAP

Nevyn nevynh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 01:22:44 NZST 2013

Hi All,

I'm having a go at installing LDAP for a VM environment and am really
struggling. My first thoughts, because I really don't want to have to get
too far into LDAP, was to install a web based front end. So I found GOsa
and am trying to configured it. I then get to a screen that tells me:

The specified user 'cn=admin,dc=example,dc=org' does not have full access
to your LDAP database.

I then check this page:
https://help.ubuntu.com/12.10/serverguide/openldap-server.html

which tells me "there is no administrative account created for the
slapd-config database and you will therefore need to authenticate
externally to LDAP in order to access it. We will see how to do this later
on."

A further search brings up this:
"As previously mentioned, there is no administrative account created for
the slapd-config database. There is, however, a SASL identity that is
granted full access to it. It represents the localhost's superuser
(root/sudo). "

A little further down - just when you think they're going to show you how
to add an administrative account.... via the SASL identity.... no such luck.

I haven't been able to find any really clear, step by step, all in one
place instructions for getting this done. Given that it's just a VM
environment, I don't really care about security at all.

Am I going about this the right way? How does one go about setting up
something that's really simple for a layman like myself to configure just
for the purposes of testing?

Regards,
Nevyn
http://nevsramblings.blogspot.com/