[NZLUG] Character set translator passing illegal charaters

Volker Kuhlmann hidden at paradise.net.nz
Wed Jun 26 17:12:04 NZST 2013

Does anyone know of a character set conversion program that handles
illegal characters by passing them through? I can't find one, and am a
bit reluctant to re-invent the wheel.

Both recode and iconv are no good to me, because they either fail (no
useful purpose) or strip anything that doesn't fit both old and new
encoding, which is data loss. Neither does anything for keeping the text
in a shape that can then be manually fixed up.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann			is list0570 with the domain in header.
http://volker.dnsalias.net/	Please do not CC list postings to me.