[NZLUG] assistance requested with ifconfig

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 20:06:34 NZST 2013

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Robin Paulson <robin at bumblepuppy.org>wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 04:45:52PM +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> > Kinda wondering why you buy a device whose only output is HDMI when you
>
> it's borrowed, not bought. i will be buying if it is suitable for the task
> in
> hand - that is a node in a decentralised email/storage/wifi/search
> network. see
> other discussions running concurrently on nzlug for more info
>
> > don't have a HDMI monitor/TV. You do imply that you have a DVI monitor
> > though, and an HDMI-DVI cable is cheap. (There is no conversion, they are
>
> that depends how much money one has
>
> > signal compatible, assuming we are talking DVI-D). Android is primarily
> > graphical, and you kinda need a screen, even if just to install an ssh
> > server (assuming one exists).
>
> i intend to install a headerless debian/ubuntu when i get my hands on a sd
> microsd converter. in the meantime, i was idly wondering if i could connect
> to the android system via ssh, but it appears there is no ssh server
> installed
> by default, which now i think about it is a sane choice

In any event I suspect you will need input (a keyboard) and output (a HDMI
or DVI screen with the appropriate cable ($20)) to initiate boot from SD.

There are ssh servers on the google playstore - dropbear is a common
embedded ssh server and is there along with others.

Once you have your android device registered at the google playstore you
can install stuff on it from any browser that is logged into the same
google account as you registered the android device with. However it still
needs ot be setup and initialised from the device itself.