[NZLUG] assistance requested with ifconfig

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 16:45:52 NZST 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Robin Paulson <robin at bumblepuppy.org>wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 04:51:18PM +1200, Tim Westbrook wrote:
> > That is because you just set the ip address of your eth3 interface to
> > be 10.0.0.2
>
> yes, i thought it might be that
>
> > You need to configure the ip address on the 802, does it have some
> > sort of terminal, like can you plug the unit into a TV? and get some
> > sort of interface?
>
> the problem is, i have no way of accessing the device directly. i don't
> have an
> hdmi tv, or a converter to let me plug it into a vga/dvi monitor(it only
> has
> an hdmi output). i was hoping it would be ssh-enabled by default, so i
> could
> power it up and get a shell remotely, hence the networking tests.
>
> to be honest i don't even know if android 4 (the OS installed by default)
> has an
> ssh client/server by default, but i thought i'd try

Not usually.

Kinda wondering why you buy a device whose only output is HDMI when you
don't have a HDMI monitor/TV. You do imply that you have a DVI monitor
though, and an HDMI-DVI cable is cheap. (There is no conversion, they are
signal compatible, assuming we are talking DVI-D). Android is primarily
graphical, and you kinda need a screen, even if just to install an ssh
server (assuming one exists).