[NZLUG] Privacy server

Rob Connolly rob at webworxshop.com
Fri Jun 21 15:13:07 NZST 2013

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 02:18:52PM +1200, Robin Paulson wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 02:07:20PM +1200, Steve Holdoway wrote:
> > So you can run proper linux on that??
>
> when you buy the thing, you get android 4.something installed on it
>
> you can also install proper linux, there are stable builds of debian and
> somethng called linaro, which can be flashed to the internal storage (generally
> 4GB or 8GB), or booted from a microsd card. i'm not sure if you can boot from a
> sata drive over usb or not
>
> this is one example of a build, there are many more:
>
> https://www.miniand.com/forums/forums/discussion--3/topics/armhf-debian-os-v1-1-updated--2
>
> i believe fedora can also be installed, as can puppy linux
>
> the original ports were armel, but attention is now moving to armhf (hard
> float). i'm not entirely sure what that means, but apparently it performs better

It means the build is able to make use of the hardware floating point
support on the chip, rather than emulating those operations in software.
This will be faster for programs doing lots of (floating point) maths,
but I'm not sure why it should be faster overall, unless the kernel or
low level libraries need to do floating point stuff.

Having tried to do floating point stuff on a 8-bit microcontroller
before, I can tell you there is a big difference in speed.

Cheers,

Rob