[NZLUG] Privacy server

Volker Kuhlmann hidden at paradise.net.nz
Fri Jun 21 09:41:39 NZST 2013

On Fri 21 Jun 2013 09:16:07 NZST +1200, Rob Connolly wrote:

> I'm also wondering if the Raspberry Pi might be suitable for the
> hardware end of this. They have the advantage of being cheap and easy to
> get hold of, but the hardware is pretty underpowered.

Barely more expensive is the cubieboard, which would be better suited
for this purpose. It has a SATA connector (yay!), 1GB RAM, 4GB flash
onboard (plus whatever you stick into the microUSB), and is based on a
1GHz Allwinner A10 - Cortex-A8 ARMv7 core, said to be about twice the
grunt of the RPi's ARM11 ARMv6 core. For this purpose you don't care
about any graphics capabilities (which are about similar to RPi). Cost
about US$50 from China, but available from many places. Originally
crowdsourced. Because of its v7 core it runs common Linux distros.

Full schematics and design files are available for neither cubieboard
nor RPi AFAIK.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann			is list0570 with the domain in header.
http://volker.dnsalias.net/	Please do not CC list postings to me.