[NZLUG] Privacy server

Robin Paulson robin at bumblepuppy.org
Thu Jun 20 22:36:55 NZST 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 08:10:25PM +1200, Martin D Kealey wrote:
> Take this to its logical conclusion: a large federation of small servers
> which *are* on residential ADSL; everything replicated everywhere;
> basically, email-over-peer-to-peer-swarm.

marvellous, i love the sound of it

> Every outbound message would be handed off a number of times within the
> swarm before transmission to the target MX; every inbound message would be
> replicated across a number of nodes before being "acknowledged", and then
> replicated further until eventually the recipient's machine is included in
> the replication. The recipient can send signed expungement notices to the
> other nodes.

would this mean email could be "received" even if the target server/malbox was
offline?

> The "public" point is then the signed authoritative DNS; everyone in the
> group has rights to update the zone, so they can add themselves, and remove
> anyone else who's fallen off the net. Everyone also knows the UDAI keys so
> that the authoritative DNS servers can be changed multiple times per day
> (every 4 hours for a .nz zone). Everyone knows that the DNS has been
> hijacked because they can no longer use their keys to log into the current
> DNS server to change its records.
>
> (This idea is a work-in-progress; the basic idea is to minimize the
> centralization will maintaining security.)

absolutely, decentralisation is always the way. as well as
duplicating/building in redundancy, this removes the problem of how admin is
done: no problems of having to choose one admin to look after one piece of
hardware. and no problems of making decisions which everyone must adhere to

i'd go one step further though, and suggest some form of distributed, encrypted
data store as well, so my data is also stored on a number of other servers, but
so only i can see it.