[NZLUG] assistance requested with ifconfig

Bruce Kingsbury zcat at zcat.geek.nz
Thu Jun 20 19:01:59 NZST 2013

What I would do is just plug your laptop and the mystery device into your
regular internet router, which will be providing DHCP by default. Find the
mystery device's IP by logging into the router and looking at the DHCP
leases or by comparing an 'nmap -sP 10.1.1.*' before and after you
connected it. You can also use nmap to quickly see what ports (if any) are
open on the device.