[NZLUG] assistance requested with ifconfig

Robin Paulson robin at bumblepuppy.org
Thu Jun 20 17:13:43 NZST 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 04:51:18PM +1200, Tim Westbrook wrote:
> That is because you just set the ip address of your eth3 interface to
> be 10.0.0.2

yes, i thought it might be that

> You need to configure the ip address on the 802, does it have some
> sort of terminal, like can you plug the unit into a TV? and get some
> sort of interface?

the problem is, i have no way of accessing the device directly. i don't have an
hdmi tv, or a converter to let me plug it into a vga/dvi monitor(it only has
an hdmi output). i was hoping it would be ssh-enabled by default, so i could
power it up and get a shell remotely, hence the networking tests.

to be honest i don't even know if android 4 (the OS installed by default) has an
ssh client/server by default, but i thought i'd try

> I'm not sure what the state of the device you have is, if it is just
> running android, It might try to DHCP first then failt to a  static
> 169.*.*.*

so, android by default has an IP address that begins 169?

should i be configuring eth3 with a different ip?

> you might try plugging it into a router (wireless or adsl ) and using
> the interface on that see if it has been given an ip address.

i don't have an adsl router, only a wireless huawei thing, and of course
wireless needs to be brought up manually, so the mk802 won't connect to it