[NZLUG] assistance requested with ifconfig

Tim Westbrook iondiode at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 16:51:18 NZST 2013

On 20 June 2013 16:11, Robin Paulson <robin at bumblepuppy.org> wrote:
> i'm doing some experiments with arm-based mini computers at the moment, but am
> having trouble connecting via ethernet.
>
> the device i'm using is a rikomagic mk802ii, which has a host usb interface on
> it. i have plugged my usb ethernet dongle into it, and then put an ethernet wire
> from my laptop to the dongle
>
> i'm having problems bringing the interface up.
> i've tried this:
> $ sudo ifconfig eth3 add 10.0.0.2
>

> when i open 10.0.0.2 in my browser, it links to the apache instance on my
> laptop, not the mk802

That is because you just set the ip address of your eth3 interface to
be 10.0.0.2

> can someone help? i'm not sure how to search for this, because i don't entirely
> understand what i'm doing, in correct technical terms anyway

You need to configure the ip address on the 802, does it have some
sort of terminal, like can you plug the unit into a TV? and get some
sort of interface?

I'm not sure what the state of the device you have is, if it is just
running android, It might try to DHCP first then failt to a  static
169.*.*.*

you might try plugging it into a router (wireless or adsl ) and using
the interface on that see if it has been given an ip address.