[NZLUG] Getting people to use GPG (was: Email Server)

Philip Charles philipc at copyleft.co.nz
Wed Jun 19 19:03:38 NZST 2013

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013, Nevyn wrote:
> On 19 June 2013 16:40, Robin Sheat <robin at kallisti.net.nz> wrote:
> > Nevyn schreef op wo 19-06-2013 om 13:52 [+1200]:
> > > People don't really do this do they? Although... it was fairly
> > > normal once upon a time to give their credit card number over the
> > > phone.
> >
> > The phone I don't mind so much, provided you know that it's the right
> > person at the other end. Emails however get stored all over the
> > place.
> >
> > As for people doing this, well, here's exhibit A:
> >
> > https://twitter.com/NeedADebitCard
> >
> > Robin.
>
> Holy crapballs on toast batman! I don't know whether to laugh or
> cry....

That's mild.
When I was a Visa Merchant the customer would enter the card details on my
isp's secure server which would then send them to me in plain text.  I
would then have to ring up Mr. Visa and give him the card details for
authorisation.  The same details were then written on a form placed in an
envelope and passed to Mr. Visa through the local Bank.

I now use Paymate where the customer enters the details on the secure
server and Paymate then does the debiting and crediting.  Much much
better.

Phil.

   +64 3 488 2818        Fax +64 3 488 2875        Mobile 027 663 4453
   philipc at copyleft.co.nz - personal.    info at copyleft.co.nz - business