[NZLUG] avconv webcam questions

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Wed Jun 19 16:58:49 NZST 2013

Hi all, I'm giving a talk at the NZ Python User Group meeting tonight[0]
that I would like to record via a webcam.

Here is the avconv command that is working

avconv -f video4linux2 -r 48 -i /dev/video1 -f alsa -i plughw:C920,0 \
 -metadata title="Shifting Data Between Programs: How Erlang Talks to
Python" \
 -metadata author="Tim McNamara <code at timmcnamara.co.nz>" \
 -codec:v mpeg4 \
 webcam.mpg

Two questions:

1) the quality in the output file is quite poor. It is a 1080p webcam. Any
suggestions?
2) is it possible to tee the output to mplayer somehow, so that it's
possible to view the stream while recording?

[0] http://www.meetup.com/nz-python-user-group/events/118527112/