[NZLUG] Getting people to use GPG (was: Email Server)

Robin Sheat robin at kallisti.net.nz
Wed Jun 19 16:36:55 NZST 2013

Volker Kuhlmann schreef op wo 19-06-2013 om 12:54 [+1200]:
> How can webmail support encrypted emails? The encryption would have to
> happen on the browser side, otherwise you're sending your private key
> the webserver.

Yes, that is correct. Here is a (now-defunct) example:
http://www.getfiregpg.org/s/home

> How does the web server get my public key?

Users are added by installing a package onto the server that contains
their SSH and GPG keys.

> I don't keep those on key servers as spam protection, nor would I have
> one in the first place for email addresses I use to sign up for things
> with.

Then your key isn't worth much, because no one can use it. There's not
much point in you having one if no one can access it.

Well, unless it's this old one, in which case it's a bit too late:

(1)	Volker Kuhlmann <v.kuhlmann at elec.canterbury.ac.nz>
	  1024 bit RSA key 6BBF555D, aangemaakt: 1998-07-05

Robin.