[NZLUG] Privacy server

Robin Paulson robin at bumblepuppy.org
Wed Jun 19 16:33:21 NZST 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 03:09:09PM +1200, Tim McNamara wrote:
> Where is the flood of low-power, adequate CPU, good enough I/O and
> reasonable RAM ARM servers? These things should be cheap and everywhere.

well, perhaps instead of going the usual route for jim's suggestion, that of a
lumbering multi-core x86 somewhere, we go the many ARM boards with connected storage route?

there are android boards available for ~NZ$50, hard drives are cheap, a decent
(i.e. non-residential internet connection) is a bigger issue

i'm interersted in the idea totally, and certainly in doing it with these cheap,
low-power chips

if we did it well, of course, we could have redundancy across multiple sites -
they appear cheap enough to buy several if a group of us get together