[NZLUG] Getting people to use GPG (was: Email Server)

Tim Westbrook iondiode at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 14:58:17 NZST 2013

On 19 June 2013 14:51, Volker Kuhlmann <hidden at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> On Wed 19 Jun 2013 14:21:07 NZST +1200, Tim Westbrook wrote:
>
>> > How can webmail support encrypted emails? The encryption would have to
>> > happen on the browser side, otherwise you're sending your private key to
>> > the webserver.
>
>> It is clumsy , but is _a_ solution
>
> Hmm. And the web browser does this presumably using javascript code
> supplied by the server?!??
> Does the browser let html etc code call external programs, like gpg? I
> suspect not.

Things are much less restricted for a plugin then for live code on a
web page. I just installed webpg-firefox plugin and it seems to call
gnupg tools from within the plugin execution environment. Essentially
acting like a thin email client with gpg supplied locally, As far as
integration with webmail goes these things usually break easily as
gmail changes their interface. What you'd really want is a plugin (for
managing keys) and a _compatible_ webmail server, but gmail will never
do this as it is counter to their goals (present you with targeted