[NZLUG] Getting people to use GPG (was: Email Server)

Nevyn nevynh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 11:02:55 NZST 2013

On 19 June 2013 10:45, Rob Connolly <rob at webworxshop.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 09:48:27AM +1200, Steve Holdoway wrote:
> > On Wed, 2013-06-19 at 09:24 +1200, Rob Connolly wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > Following on from this, does anyone have any experience trying to get
> > > friends and family to secure their communications? GPG is case in point
> > > as it's only really of use if the people you correspond with also use
> it
> > > and people seem to find it hard to use.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Rob
> > >
> > I use evolution as the best mail client I can find - not saying much is
> > it - and I see the message 'Signature exists, but need public key'
> > against this message.
> >
> > If my mail client can't fully use the GPG key, is it worth having?
>
> Well this is exactly the point. You need my public key to be able to
> validate the signature. Since my key is on publicly available keyservers
> this shouldn't be a problem, perhaps Evolution should ask if you want to
> fetch it.
>
> Of course there is still the question of how much you 'trust' each key.
> I'm not sure what would happen if there were a path through the Web of
> Trust from the keys in your GPG database to my key.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rob

I'm one of those people who refuses to do it because it's a huge sacrifice
to usability. The need for a local email client and configuring that,
figuring out certificates and the like and expecting everyone else around
me to also be doing the same. That compared to logging onto a webpage
(independent of the machine I'm on) and signing in...

Regards,
Nevyn
http://nevsramblings.blogspot.com/