[NZLUG] Getting people to use GPG (was: Email Server)

Rob Connolly rob at webworxshop.com
Wed Jun 19 10:45:51 NZST 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 09:48:27AM +1200, Steve Holdoway wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-06-19 at 09:24 +1200, Rob Connolly wrote:
> [snip]
> > Following on from this, does anyone have any experience trying to get
> > friends and family to secure their communications? GPG is case in point
> > as it's only really of use if the people you correspond with also use it
> > and people seem to find it hard to use.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Rob
> >
> I use evolution as the best mail client I can find - not saying much is
> it - and I see the message 'Signature exists, but need public key'
> against this message.
>
> If my mail client can't fully use the GPG key, is it worth having?

Well this is exactly the point. You need my public key to be able to
validate the signature. Since my key is on publicly available keyservers
this shouldn't be a problem, perhaps Evolution should ask if you want to
fetch it.

Of course there is still the question of how much you 'trust' each key.
I'm not sure what would happen if there were a path through the Web of
Trust from the keys in your GPG database to my key.

Cheers,

Rob