[NZLUG] Privacy server

Bruce Clement subscribed at gnuzealand.com
Tue Jun 18 17:37:57 NZST 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Volker Kuhlmann <hidden at paradise.net.nz>wrote:

> On Tue 18 Jun 2013 16:09:31 NZST +1200, Jim Cheetham wrote:
>
> > > One major thought is that one should *expect to* receive subpoenas from
> > > Police and GCSB within a day of the site going live, and be forced to
> > > install arbitrary backdoor logging and MITM software.
> >
> > And with a careful setup procedure and a reasonable level of
> > cross-checking, such an activity should be difficult to keep secret.
>
> Hmm, I expect those requests to come with a clause "you will keep quiet
> about this or we send you straight to jail". How do you plan to address
> that?

Would structuring the service as a legal partnership work? I'm not a lawyer
but, IIRC unlike a company, limited partnership or trust, a partnership
isn't a legal entity seperate from the partners so any warrant served on
the partership would need to be communicated to all partners. If every user
of the service was a partner ...

--
Bruce Clement

Home:    http://www.clement.co.nz/
Twitter:    http://twitter.com/Bruce_Clement

"Before attempting to create something new, it is vital to have a good
appreciation of everything that already exists in this field." Mikhail
Kalashnikov