[NZLUG] Privacy server

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.net
Tue Jun 18 17:15:51 NZST 2013

On 18 June 2013 16:22, Daniel Lawson <daniel at meta.net.nz> wrote:
> Do you have any particular applications in mind? It may be that I'm having a foggy day, but I really can't think of what you'd want to use this for (other than email or a secure web proxy, and both of those have issues).

Nothing in particular; but I'm trying to find new ways of protecting
data at rest and transit in as many places as possible. And I'm also
looking to see if there other people in NZ who are interested in the
same sorts of thing, sources for new ideas :-)

The general ideal is client end-to-end encryption, but that leaves
traffic analysis open, as David commented. Perhaps a privacy-enhancing
mail server would randomly delay messages, or batch them up, in order
to defeat that ... If you have set the option for encrypted-only, how
about the mail server rejects any non-encrypted messages from you?

However, in general a non-logging service of any kind would be a
useful addition to other safeguards. OTR at both ends, and in the
middle? ;-)

-jim