[NZLUG] Privacy server

Volker Kuhlmann hidden at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jun 18 17:12:40 NZST 2013

On Tue 18 Jun 2013 16:09:31 NZST +1200, Jim Cheetham wrote:

> > One major thought is that one should *expect to* receive subpoenas from
> > Police and GCSB within a day of the site going live, and be forced to
> > install arbitrary backdoor logging and MITM software.
>
> And with a careful setup procedure and a reasonable level of
> cross-checking, such an activity should be difficult to keep secret.

Hmm, I expect those requests to come with a clause "you will keep quiet
about this or we send you straight to jail". How do you plan to address
that?

Not keeping log files was permitted in the EU until relatively recently,
even required to a large extent, until they got persuaded otherwise and
made log keeping legally compulsory for 3-12 months (I think). If NZ
doesn't have rules about it (yet?) it would be a bonus for staying
on-shore.

In principle I am interested in such a service, and would support
establishing the feasibility of it.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann			is list0570 with the domain in header.
http://volker.dnsalias.net/	Please do not CC list postings to me.