[NZLUG] Router recommendations?

Shiv Manas shiv at linux.com
Sat Jun 15 11:01:00 NZST 2013

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Michael Gauland <mikelygee at amuri.net> wrote:
> I'd like to be able to track how much data each device on our home network
> is using. My idea is to find a router I can install something like OpenWRT
> on (and customising it if necessary to record the data I'm interested in).
>
> My questions:
> 1) Is this feasible?
> 2) Any recommendations for a suitable wireless router, ideally with a phone
> port for SIP?
> 3) Any alternate suggestions?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Mike Gauland

The ASUS RT-N* series of routers are excellent. Unfortunately, none of
them have a phone port, but they have excellent hardware, and lots of
different open firmware to choose from.

I would easily recommend any of the following: RT-N16, RT-N66U,
RT-AC66U. You're only limited by your budget as to which one to go
for. Even if you buy the lowest spec'd model - the RT-N16 - it's still
a very good buy: 480MHz CPU / 128 MB RAM / 32 MB storage / 802.11n /
GbE ports. Compare this to the old favorite - the WRT54GL - which only
has a 200MHz CPU / 16MB RAM / 4MB Flash no 802.11n!

The N16, being the oldest of the ASUS lot, also has the highest number
of firmwares available - DD-WRT, OpenWRT, Gargoyle (unofficial),
Asuswrt-Merlin, TomatoUSB and many other mods. IMHO, TomatoUSB is the
overall the best firmware out there for the N16, with awesome
out-of-the-box features and stability. While the main branch is no
longer being developed, the Shibby mod of Tomato is still being
updated regularly.

If budget is not a concern, then the RT-AC66U is an awesome buy - once
you get hooked onto 1.3Gbps over WiFi, you'll never want to use
regular ethernet again. :) (although you need to have an 802.11ac
adapter). At present, Asuswrt-Merlin is the best firmware available
for it, but DD-WRT and Tomato now have basic builds out there (not yet
as fast or stable as Merlin though).