[NZLUG] Router recommendations?

Jaco freakalad at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jun 15 10:55:52 NZST 2013

Depends on budget.

Ideal setup for me:
* DrayTek Vigor 120 DSL router - or something capable of supporting
PPPoE, so that I can use it *only* as a modem & deal with smarts on my
own firewall
* pfSense  - works very well on a ALIX board
(http://nicegear.co.nz/single-board-computers/pc-engines-alix-2d3/), or
an old/deprecated x86/x64 PC. YYMV depending on how many isolated
"Zones" you want - LAN, WAN, DMZ, Blue (WiFi), VoIP. On-board WiFi optional
* An AP suitable for DD-WRT or OpenWRT
(http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database,
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wdr3600) - "default" usually
WRT-54GL, but getting a bit dated now. You can control access via RADIUS
@ pfSense. Recently picked up a TP-Link TL-WDR3600 for client - gigabit
interfaces & supports 802.11n
* re VoIP - you'll need an ATA or FXO/FXS - something along these lines
maybe: http://nicegear.co.nz/analog-telephone-adaptors/cisco-spa122/ or
http://nicegear.co.nz/analog-telephone-adaptors/cisco-spa112/

I've had all-in-one devices in the past - my ISP provided a from the
Cisco WAG* (not all that different from this:
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=MODCIS1072701) - but I've really
had mixed results & really don't like the lack of control they give me.

YMMV

- J