[NZLUG] Router recommendations?

Nevyn nevynh at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 23:38:56 NZST 2013

On 14 June 2013 17:55, Volker Kuhlmann <hidden at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> On Fri 14 Jun 2013 15:42:16 NZST +1200, Daniel Lawson wrote:
>
> > This is definitely something that is quite straight forward to do with
> > iptables (all you need is an ACCEPT rule matching each IP address you
> > want to track, and then you check the counters for that rule), a cron
> > script to check the counters every 5 minutes and inject the data into
> > an RRD, and then a script to generate the rrd graphs.
>
> I see, thanks Daniel, it seems something like it isn't available OOTB
> but it doesn't look too difficult to implement, except that I have no
> intentions to dispense with pfsense because it's just too good. Thus
> iptables are no good, my BSD-foo needs improving but the same approach
> will probably work with pf.
>
> Thanks Nick for the pointers, but anything that doesn't require me to
> roll out new hardware wins :-)
>
> Volker

I was asked to do something kind of similar a couple of years ago. The
scenario was:
Multiple schools using the same Internet connection delivered via wireless.
How do you track each school's traffic to make pricing fair?

I was thinking that it would have to be a box at the point that the
connection comes in and it'd have to be a bit of a guesstimate based upon a
packet count. Of course, it wasn't limited by hardware - I could put quite
a powerful box in there. The other thing they wanted was caching though the
big wins (things like youtube) are purposely difficult.

In which case, I really didn't have the know how or time to come up with a
solution and so had to disappoint a couple of people.

Regards,
Nevyn
http://nevsramblings.blogspot.com/