[NZLUG] Router recommendations?

Steve Holdoway steve at greengecko.co.nz
Fri Jun 14 17:11:47 NZST 2013

On Fri, 2013-06-14 at 11:07 +1200, Michael Gauland wrote:
> I'd like to be able to track how much data each device on our home
> network is using. My idea is to find a router I can install something
> like OpenWRT on (and customising it if necessary to record the data I'm
> interested in).
>
> My questions:
> 1) Is this feasible?
> 2) Any recommendations for a suitable wireless router, ideally with a
> phone port for SIP?
> 3) Any alternate suggestions?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Mike Gauland

As others have mentioned, yes, it is possible, but the available
hardware is restricted if you want to use a single ADSL wireless router.
Almost the only one available is the old Linksys one.

More modern wireless routers are out there, which do have the benefit of
more CPU power, memory, flash etc as well as 11n...

Cheers,

Steve
--
Steve Holdoway BSc(Hons) MNZCS