[NZLUG] Router recommendations?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 14:41:18 NZST 2013

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Volker Kuhlmann <hidden at paradise.net.nz>wrote:

> On Fri 14 Jun 2013 11:07:14 NZST +1200, Michael Gauland wrote:
>
> > I'd like to be able to track how much data each device on our home
> > network is using. My idea is to find a router I can install
> > something like OpenWRT on (and customising it if necessary to record
> > the data I'm interested in).
>
> How exactly are you recording what traffic each LAN host generates? And
> are you ignoring traffic between LAN devices, or anything that doesn't
> go through the Internet gateway? I tried this with pfsense some while
> back and didn't manage, all the available add-ons just didn't do what
> was needed, didn't work, or on one case were so much overkill I didn't
> persue it. If there's an easy solution I'd like to know about it.

On tomato You had to run some scripts (and the results went back to zero if
you rebooted). I think it was an iptables script that did some packet
counting or somesuch. I am pretty sure it counted only packets that went
through NAT so didn't count lan traffic. Sorry to be vague, I didn't
implement it for long. I now use another openwrt variant which has live
graphs of traffic usage, which can be interesting when online gaming (teen
boy)  or youtube (teen girl) starts up...

I just googled looking for the scripts I used and found this instead, which
looks intersting. I might try the newest tomato software over the weekend.

http://www.nextgendigitalhome.com/2127/home-network/scalable-gateway/using-the-tomato-firmware-to-monitor-bandwidth-by-ip-address/