[NZLUG] Email Server

Volker Kuhlmann hidden at paradise.net.nz
Thu Jun 13 13:21:04 NZST 2013

On Thu 13 Jun 2013 09:24:04 NZST +1200, Rob Connolly wrote:

> Another option is to set up a catchall account on another service and
> use fetchmail to get it down to your actual server, hosted on your

I am not sure how feasible this is in practice, but it depends on how
you set it up. Multidrop (download mail, have fetchmail work out the
local recipient mailbox) mode is officially not supported and I gather
it has some problems. However if the number of mailboxes is small, or at
least the umber of people, you can run one per-user fetchmail process
and be sure not to get things mixed up. It wouldn't scale, but be good
for family.

> network. Then use a smarthost for outgoing mail. Obviously, you're still

Your ISP should always provide one of those. A good and quick test is to
redirect (not forward!!) an email you have received from someone else.
If your smart relay gives you a permission denied, you can't send with
any other email address than you have been given by that ISP, you
will have too many problems using email addresses with your domain names
and want to look for a better ISP / smart relay.

> sending/receiving your mail through a 3rd party, but if you want true privacy you
> should be using GPG anyway!

True! My success rate in getting people to use it is not high though.
Thunderbird refusing to do basic key maintenance is a killer; it says
it's not its job, while technically true, there doesn't seem to be a
clickme-type for those less versed in all things computer.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann			is list0570 with the domain in header.
http://volker.dnsalias.net/	Please do not CC list postings to me.