[NZLUG] Email Server

Rob Connolly rob at webworxshop.com
Thu Jun 13 09:24:04 NZST 2013

On Sun, Jun 09, 2013 at 02:09:22PM +1200, Steve Holdoway wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-06-08 at 23:26 +1200, Nevyn wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >

> > I'm looking to move away from gmail - I object to the way EVERYTHING
> > Google is moving towards Google+ (youtube just had a whinge about
> > using a name and then came up with some message about going to Google+
> > to change certain settings and chat in gmail wanted to do something
> > with Hangouts) and I think the Chromebook is THE perfect example of
> > vendor lock in.
> >

> > The question came up around jurisdiction - the US has jurisdiction
> > over a lot of services that we tend to use - on NZOSS which had me
> > thinking. If I'm going to be changing my email address very soon
> > anyway... why not try to kill two birds with one stone? I personally
> > wouldn't mind paying for an email address. It would have to be free of
> > my ISP (as I want the option of swapping ISP's without the switching
> > cost of changing my email address). NZ hosted so that I only really
> > have to be concerned by one set of laws (though I don't do anything
> > dodgy with email anyway). Have spam filtering (though occasionally
> > this is a source of entertainment - grading SPAM)...
> >

> > I don't think there are any free providers in NZ. I was wondering, is
> > there an opportunity here for a community run thing? I know some guys
> > in Auckland were talking about a community server (did anything ever
> > come of that?). Would anyone be interested in using such a service?
> > It'd probably have a small yearly fee attached (how small would
> > probably be a function of the number of people paying). Or perhaps not
> > even community run - perhaps we'd just need enough people to take on a
> > commercial offering (less risk in terms of maintenance).
> >

> Why not DIY? As SMTP was designed in the days of unreliable
> connectivity, it's normal that mail servers are set up to try to deliver
> for 5 days before failing. That way you can set up whatever software
> stack you wish... personally I go for the hardcore oldschool sendmail
> and dovecot, with procmail for local delivery, with newer school
> roundcube for web based access. Add an SSL cert for $20 or less a year,
> and purchase your favourite domain name and you're away.
>
> HOWEVER - note the caps - this is where your fun starts. You need to
> protect your mail against malware, so you probably want to look at
> clamav, and a few of the unofficial lists that go with that. Also, cut
> down on the spam as far as possible, so spamassassin is a start, much as
> I detest the concept ( and yes, I use it ). I also implement the
> SpamHaus DROP list as a firewall, although it rarely gets triggered.
>
> That should have cleaned up your incoming mail feed somewhat. Now comes
> the really hard part: reliable outgoing email. Apart from setting up a
> static IP address and a valid PTR record - preferably in your domain,
> you need a 'reputation', so things like SPF and DKIM will factor in.
>
> ( Note to telecom users and maybe others, you may actually have to beg
> [...]

I've been DIYing my own mailserver on a Linode VPS for the past two
years. I was well aware of the complexity and potential problems going
into it, but I have to say that I haven't encountered any. Using a
combination of postgrey and amavisd+spamassasin+clamav seems to keep
spam pretty minimal (~1 message per week, approx what got through on
gmail). I now have most of my family using the server with no problems.

I'm also interested in moving my setup to NZ (my VPS is located in
London currently), but the standard of NZ VPS services was somewhat
lacking last time I looked. I've also looked into self hosting on my
home connection, but this opens a whole new can of worms (port 25 is
blocked on my ISP for a start).

Another option is to set up a catchall account on another service and
use fetchmail to get it down to your actual server, hosted on your
network. Then use a smarthost for outgoing mail. Obviously, you're still
sending/receiving your mail through a 3rd party, but if you want true privacy you
should be using GPG anyway!

Interested to see how this develops...

Cheers,

Rob