[NZLUG] Email Server

Robin Paulson robin at bumblepuppy.org
Sun Jun 9 14:03:50 NZST 2013

On Sat, Jun 08, 2013 at 11:26:53PM +1200, Nevyn wrote:
> I'm looking to move away from gmail - I object to the way EVERYTHING Google
> is moving towards Google+ (youtube just had a whinge about using a name and

not to mention the revelations from the US gov (and hence the UK and lord knows who else) that it's actively monitoring what we do on facebook, google, et al

and of course the whole gigantic profiling project google have been running for years and years

> The question came up around jurisdiction - the US has jurisdiction over a

yeah, this is why i use sitehost in nz rather than the much cheaper services in US, germany and england.

> I don't think there are any free providers in NZ. I was wondering, is there
> an opportunity here for a community run thing? I know some guys in Auckland
> were talking about a community server (did anything ever come of that?).
> Would anyone be interested in using such a service? It'd probably have a

i instigated that a couple of years ago, it didn't go beyond a couple of informal get-togethers though.

the rough intention was a collectively-owned and run server, which we all had a vps on. there was talk of hosting it at tangle ball, but nothing was nailed down. i think about 10 people were interested at the time

i'd be keen to look at it again, the idea still appeals, and i've got more time now. i pay sitehost $34.50 a month, that money could be put to something more useful, rather than into someone else's pocket

robin